Cambridge Meghri Chapter History
The Cambridge Chapter has a special history as it was founded in 1910 in Brandford and is the first chapter of Canada. Later it joined the “Galt” chapter and in 1995 the Chapter was named Cambridge “Meghri” Chapter. The founding members were: Mayranoush Sarkissian, Armenouhi Derderian, Vergine Soghomonian, Ovsanna Vartanian, Arousyag Hagopian, Melineh Parseghian and Mariam Avedissian. Many prominent leaders such as Karekin Njteh have visited this community in support of its growth and establishment. The first executive members were: Mariam Avedissian, Vartouhi Sahagian, Yeghisapet Markarian, Guzel Sarkissian, Guluzar Manougian, Mayranoush Sarkissian.
Since the start of this chapter, there has always been a focus on preserving the Armenian language and culture through many events throughout the year as well as the Armenian Saturday School, which was established since the early 1900’s. The Cambridge Meghri chapter has supported the local community and their needs, through donations to Food Banks, Kidney Foundations, Family Crisis Shelters and local hospitals among other humanitarian organizations and continuously gone beyond the borders to wherever their help was needed. Today, the Cambridge Meghri chapter continues to serve the community and abroad alongside members from its surrounding areas, including Kitchener, Guelph, Waterloo and surrounding areas in Southwestern Ontario.
The Cambridge Meghri Chapter is famous for its annual “Khatch” and Musa Dagh weekend celebrations where people from across the country meet to celebrate culture and traditions.